Hands down, celery wins my vote as the most underrated and underappreciated vegetable this side of the Mason Dixon. If she had a page in a very cruel high school yearbook, she may be voted “least likely to succeed.” My hopes are that she would turn a fiber-rich cheek to all the losers who mocked her in school, get out of that hick town, and make something of herself. My sincere hopes are that she would see that she is more than a second thought on a crudité platter. After all, she’s pretty, she’s thin, she’s got legs for days. Not mention that great head of hair. She was practically made for this recipe we have here today – Celery Salad with Parmesan and Anchovy. Now that I’ve humanized her, I feel a little bad chopping her up.
An entire head of celery – stalks, leaves, and all – go into this raw celery salad. Thinly slice the stalks and chop the leaves and tender tops. Make a simple dressing with lemon juice, anchovies, and sumac – sumac is a bright crimson-colored spice that adds a tart, tangy flavor. Grab a big bowl and toss the celery with the dressing and just a few more accompaniments – shards of parmesan cheese, toasted pine nuts, and a handful of fresh parsley leaves. Let the flavors meld a bit, then enjoy this crisp, fresh celery salad as a side dish to any dinner.
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon sumac
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 1 oil-packed anchovy, mashed into a paste
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 head celery, ribs thinly sliced, leaves and tender tops roughly chopped
- 3 ounces parmesan cheese, shaved
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley leaves
- 1/3 cup pine nuts, toasted
- In a large bowl, whisk together lemon juice, sumac, mustard, shallot, and anchovy. Gradually whisk in oil until thick and emulsified; season with salt and pepper. Add celery and toss to coat; season with salt and pepper. Cover and chill to allow flavors to meld, about 1 hour.
- Add cheese, parsley, and pine nuts to salad and toss to combine; adjust seasoning and serve.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 241-361